6.26.2009

Hollis loves me


He doesn't say, "Mama, I love you," or even "Love you."

Instead, his whole frame softens and he looks at me and sighs, "Maaah-muhh." It's a thread of tiny-person feeling I wish I could snatch right out of the air and put in my pocket forever.

"Maaah-muhh," he exhales and leans into me.

"Maaah-muhh," he smiles as he clutches his blankie.

"Maah-muhh," he beams and toddles into my arms.

Unable to say "I love you, too," in any other way I mumble huskily back into his dark, golden locks "Baaay-bee," and wrap my arms around his warm softness.

His small heart's expression of emotion causes my own bigger heart to flutter and groan in a kind of rapture I've only ever known since motherhood.

"Baay-bee...."

4 comments:

  1. Sigh! It's just the emotion is so strong, the love we have for our kids. It HURTS it's so good. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All warm and fuzzy inside over here. Merci! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so gorgeous. Makes me think of my mom and how she must have felt when I was little. Brought tears to my eyes, but in a good way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so sweet.

    Westley does the same thing! But when I say, "Wessst-leee" back to him, he scowls and shakes his head no. I have to say, "I'm your mommy."

    ReplyDelete