1.15.2009

My highchair preference


I didn't like the look of conventional highchairs and wanted something different, practical, and good looking. Good thing I found Boon's Flair highchair!

I assume it was named for its flared pedestal bottom and its general stylistic "flair". Boon has spared no expense in its design and functionality. It has no nooks and crannies for food to get lodged in (a top complaint of many parents of other highchairs) and it has a pneumatic lift for easy height adjusting. It's also BpA-free, phathalate-free, PVC-free, and recyclable (at least the cushion is, I haven't checked the rest).

It also has great back support and has Hollis sitting up straight. - The highchair I'd been borrowing from my mom, a more conventional design, had Hollis reclining and he couldn't reach his food at the top of his tray.

All the parts come off and are easily cleaned either with a soak in hot water or a run through the dishwasher.

You get two detachable tray covers that are small enough to fit in the dishwasher (my mom's trays don't fit).

I never trip over the legs of this highchair. At my mom's we all trip over the legs of his old school high chair.

It's good looking enough that I don't need to put it away when people come over. I dig its vibe.

There are some cons, however.

One thing I noticed right away was that the Boon wobbled a LOT more than my mom's super-wide based highchair. I almost thought I wouldn't keep it, but in the end, it doesn't really make a difference. The ease with which I can move this thing around offsets the wobbles. And Hollis doesn't care in the least. But if you want 100% wobble-free chair, this one might not be fore you.

Also, Hollis, being a rather chubby kid, has always used the outer setting for the tray. He has no wiggle room to grow too much more outwards. So far, that hasn't been an issue. I suspect that by the time his belly doesn't fit he'll be old enough for a different kind of seat at our table.

It's also quite pricey. The Boon website lists it for $229. I found mine on Amazon.com for $178 and free shipping. So just look around for a good deal.

1 comment:

  1. It looks like a really nice high chair! We had a regular Graco one for Christos, because I knew nothing about high chairs then, but with Dimitry we got a nice Peg, more simple and clean looking.

    ReplyDelete